- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 6 rashers of lean back bacon (all fat removed & cubed)
- 2 chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 teaspoons of Italian herbs
- 1 & 1/2 cups of Orzo pasta
- 3 cups of boiling water
- Low calorie spray oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons of Parmesan cheese
- Generously spray a large nonstick pan with spray oil and lightly fry the onion & garlic, until softened (About 2 minutes)
- Add the bacon, cooking for about 2 minutes, then add the peas & continue to cook for a further minute.
- Add the pasta, chicken, stock cube, water, herbs and seasoning, stir and cover the pan. Stirring occasionally, gently simmer, on a low heat, until the liquid has absorbed and the chicken and pasta is cooked through. (Approximately 20 minutes)
- Serve and sprinkle a teaspoon of Parmesan cheese over each portion.
This versatile recipe is a quick and tasty one pot wonder, that can feed the family within 30 minutes without much preparation. Add other vegetables, meat or fish to create a bit of variation. Depending on who I’m cooking for I quite often add mushrooms peppers and prawns, delicious!
Find more recipes here